Ankoay : Madagascar fish eagle
Ankoay : Madagascar fish eagle
This time, Coco Lodge Majunga presents the Ankoay : Madagascar fish eagle.
Emblematic bird of the Anjajavy Peninsula, the Osprey Malagasy, also called Ankoay, is a bird of prey endemic to the coastal strip of the North-West of Madagascar. They can also be observed in the Ankarafantsika National Park.
One of the rarest raptors in the world
The Osprey, also called Eagle of Madagascar (Haliaeetus vociferoides) is one of the rarest Raptors in the world. Medium size, It is characterized by its long and rounded wings and feathers in part white on the head, the neck and chest.
Attending the edge of lakes and streams surrounded by forest, He moved also near large trees to better monitor his hunting territory. They can be observed in the late morning when perched on the trees after hunting.
The latest censuses show approximately 200 breeding pairs remaining, or less. Fortunately for the North West region of Madagascar, There are 6 to 8 Ankoay couples, especially between Anjajavy and Moramba. Others are visible in highly touristic sites, as on the Mitsio archipelago, or to Tsarabanjina, in the Tsingy de Bekopaka and in the Ankarafantsika National Park.
In the city of Majunga, We are fortunate to have 3 at SIB Park (Renial Universe).
The national team named “Ankoay”
Very recently, "Also", the name of this prey eagle endemic to the northwestern coastal strip of Madagascar, became the name of the national basketball team.
It was the national team players who made the proposal. They are currently in Tunisia to participate in the Afrobasket qualifiers 2021.
The executive committee of the federation unanimously adopted the proposal. Last night, after many negotiations, the national team played a friendly match against the Egyptian selection.
Source : « Redaction Midi Madagascar 17 February 2021 »
Send it to us !
As we say "Alefa Barea ! » for our football team, let's also say with as much enthusiasm "Alefa Ankoay !to support our national basketball team.
Ankoay : Madagascar fish eagle – By #CocoLodgeMajunga
We are now both :
- A very beautiful hôtel★★★ with 18 spacious comfortable rooms,
- One gourmet restaurant with a beautiful wine cellar, whiskies, rums and champagnes with a capacity of 60 Covered, offering Malagasy cuisine, French, Lebanese and seafood specialties,
- Un bar piscine with cocktails, "tsakitsaky", pancakes and waffles available at all hours,
- One organizer of events and conferences with 3 meeting rooms that can accommodate up to 90 people. We can receive themed lunch/dinner, engagement, wedding, anniversary, boy-girl stag, marriage proposal, …
- A travel and tourism services company (License C),
- One tour operator (B license),
- A 4×4 rental company and quads (all geo-located with valid liability insurance) and with graduate drivers guide. They can provide all your transfers, for example from Antananarivo airport to Majunga, but also from Nosy Be to Majunga.
Find us on “Sesame” and become a member to benefit from discounts on all your trips in the Indian Ocean.